The best example of 1930’s London suburb, Sidcup overlooks the fact that it has an extensive and fascinating history. The oldest story that has been passed on from this region belongs to the time of King Henry III reign. Derived from Anglo Saxon words set that refers to flat or fold and copp which means a hill top. Settlement at Sidcup has been there since 1254. However, the hamlet was properly established only after late 1600s.
With the onset of 18th and 19th Century, the place gained popularity. A substantial number of houses were built and the place became well known with landed gentry. Exchequer, Nicholas Vansittart, Lord Bexley found a dwelling in the Foot Cray Place between the years 1822 to 1850. The house however turned into ash in the year 1949 but some foundations and few of the gardens survived the fire. In the current day a private housing estate, the Hollies was formerly was an aged estate with a manor named as Marrowbone Hall. Greenwich and the Deptford Board of Guardians bought the outbuildings and the new house in the year 1902.
Around the year 1862, when the first Ordnance Survey 25th edition was taking place, the area had police station which was opened in the year 1845. In 1858’s Kent Directory, the place is shown to have some of the shops like wood dealer, grocer, beer retailer, shoemaker, carpenter and tailor. Sidcup’s growth was increased by folds with the establishment of the railways in September 1866.
Electricity came in the early 1900s while long back in time in the years 1882 and 1883, gas lighting and mains drainage respectively came. 1882 was a vital year for the place as cottage hospital in the Birkbeck Road, the second St. John’s Church and Sidcup National School came to existence. The late 1920s and the early 1930s saw the suburban development on a massive scale. Moving to the place, eventually buying massive areas of land which were earlier a part of the area’s green estate was what some of the developers like the New deal Homesteads did. To cater to the needs of the middle class people and to provide them with good quality and affordable housing, the plots were divided.
Streets were laid out in areas north of conventional heart of Sidcup. For about 395 freehold the place was ready to offer three bedroom and semi-detached house that had large gardens in the front and the back in the year 1933. At the time of the Second World War that is during 1939, the housing however had gloomy consequences. The V1 and V2 rockets in the year 1944 caused severe damage to the place as Sidcup being on the right when talking about the route of the German bombers. These damages were felt while the German bombers flew towards the central London.
The Sidcup we see today is because of the efforts put in the 1930s. There are even some old buildings that have survived the thick and thin to give a description of the history of the area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation